Lancelot's Take

Monday, January 30, 2006

Kal Ho Naa Ho

All things have a purpose.

If you start something, you have something in mind, some purpose for which it was created. Sometimes, however, a phase is reached when that reason no longer exists. In times like these, you decide whether to scuttle it altogether or to find a new purpose for it, a new raison-d’-etre, if you will. Today, my blog finds itself at a similar crossroads.

When I started it, writing was like a catharsis of sorts. A purgative. It took loads off my mind. Helped me speak out to an audience that mostly knew little about me. Under the constraints of time, blogging became erratic, but I always came back for another spell of catharsis (wonder if that’s grammatically acceptable). Today, it no longer seems necessary.

Its been close to a month since I posted. SF has come and gone. My third. Time flies, doesn’t it?? I have been lucky. All three SFs have been spent in very different ways from each other. Leaves you with different perspectives. Had a brand new one this time around too. And an absolutely lovely time. There are a couple of experiences through SF that I absolutely must write about next time (short of time right now, again; besides those are fairly long, so its best to deal with them in separate posts).

Right now, I am in worse physical condition than I can recall having been in ever. Haven’t shaved in days, which makes it look worse than it is, and been on a spree of nights-out. Things don’t look like they will change much by the looks of my schedule for the next month. I need a Duracell.

****************************

R left last week after a lovely winter. Don’t know when I shall see him again.

And the important generalization:

What do you do with something that has outlived its purpose? Throw it away?

From the general to specifics:

Do I abandon my blog, then? Or find a new purpose?

A reflection on the above general question. Discussed it with a friend a few days back. He laughed and said that regardless of what it was, I would never be able to throw it away. I realize that he was probably right. So, then,… help me find a new raison-d’-etre for my blog…

Options I considered turning it into:

1. Kgp gaffe section
2. Sports journal
3. Ganguly backing or bashing
4. Travel guide(you can get details of my journeys from Kgp to Cal, journeys whose frequency has sadly decreased to one-fifth of what it used to be)
5. Choc hunt(my passion :D)
6. Food page(dedicated to cuisines)
7. A couple more that I am actually seriously considering
8. Taking one of the options suggested by readers (if any still come back, that is)

10 Comments:

  • At 3:58 AM, Blogger Dipanjan Das said…

    all of these. basically.

     
  • At 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    dada ke liye sacrifize your life, cs and naturaaly blog. bhat it ez in phroont of the great man phor whom aamar sonar bangla libz. aamdaer comrade bandhu calling phor aamar sonar bangla bondh phor ganguly. u ez nhot even SUCI membaar. so az phounder aru przidhent of aour glorias ganguly dada interest protection somiti convert ur blog and conbhince all true bangla bondhus.

    joi ganguly

    noysha komal toychowdry
    prezident
    ganguly dada zindabad brigade

     
  • At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    there is no raison-d’-etre to support ganguly. he is simbly a failurre. the raison-d’-etre of my frend abov is combletely flawed. and people have always discriminated against us south indians (egzamble dravid and kumble) all the time without any proper raison-d’-etre.

     
  • At 6:52 PM, Blogger Lancelot said…

    dd: hmmm... kgp te ekhono roshik baaki achhe... look below...

    @ganguly dada zindabad brigade & idly vadaa sambar and proud to be so:
    PLEASE keep coming back to my blog, whoever u be... too good!!!

     
  • At 7:59 PM, Blogger Casablanca said…

    Blogs dont need a purpose. Blogs dont need time. Post when you feel like... and write whatever you feel like. Let the thoughts flow... it doesnt matter if people will understand what you wrote about. It doesnt matter if people will like what you write. So when it comes direct, dil se... it will be therapeutic.

    My 2 cents worth...

     
  • At 2:31 PM, Blogger Dreamcatcher said…

    like DD says ..all

     
  • At 11:43 AM, Blogger babelfish said…

    I third the motion..*all*, but start with 1..sounds potentially interesting :)

     
  • At 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    arey i heard your yahoo mail too is showing the golden message. well at least i have company. any idea how to sort it out( though from what i have read from the net, there is no solution)?

     
  • At 9:52 PM, Blogger Lancelot said…

    @casablanca: yes, i try doing that...

    @dc: yes will maintain blog definitely... and hope to be more regular by end of Feb.

    @babelfish: i probably will!!!

    @nishant: yes but it got sorted... not sure how, but then i sent yahoo a report from the error page, and that might have helped things... you could try it..

     
  • At 11:19 PM, Blogger Gee said…

    these kida have stopped blogging!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home