Lancelot's Take

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Sunny side up

By all accounts, it was a miserable semester. While some things (dont ask me what, take a long time to think!!!) went somewhat according to plan, a whole lot just implemented some kind of random "next move" theory. In spite of that, just one aspect of my life almost fell into place right at the end of it. The academic aspect. And then it didn't. A terrible display of inane grading habits by a couple of professors(well, 3 actually) ensured that what probably should have been a 9 remained an 8+ only. What hurts is not missing out, but missing out when you deserve it.

And of course the other side. Somehow, all my life, I relished situations where people told me it couldn't be done that way, or this won't work out, or there's no chance. It was sort of a kick battling the odds. Not that I made miracles happen, but simply go against the odds to make a possibility a reality. My friends are somewhat used to me doing crazy things at times. Nothing outrageous, just unexpected.

In spite of that, they asked me "Why??"
"Why this, after what happened just one month back??"
Surprise was a common emotion. And I smiled and said that I was basing my conclusions on the results of some tests. And that if it worked out, it could probably change my life!!!

Not many agreed, but they didn't go beyond the warnings because they knew I wouldn't change my mind!!! And sadly enough, I proved them right. Now I know why we need to take 10 readings and not 1!!!! Not that it helps coz I will have to start from scratch again. But what astounds me is that of the 5-6 parameters I had judged, I was wrong on every count. Just the sort of thing that makes you feel that you are in the wrong profession!!!

And Venugopal and the whole CSRG group might just kill me. HALP!!!

On the sunny side, had a bit of adventure early in the hols with a drive to Kgp to get my comp back. 145 km each way, and I had to drive the whole distance, coz only Baba was there and he can't drive!!! Total driving time of 5 and a half hours. We started at 4 in the morning and were back by 12 for a lunch invitation. Ma must have called up 20 times.

A couple of friends coming down for the winters and so I expect to have a good time.

Oh, and I guess staying so long in kgp is the reason I'm so late and I'm sure everybody's already been there, but if you haven't, go check out Kentucky Fried Chicken at City Centre. Awesome.

10 Comments:

  • At 10:03 AM, Blogger Rashmi Patel said…

    May be you should take 10 readings, not 1 ... but don't stop doing the crazy things..or whatever suprises everybody. You just figured out a lot of htings that don't work but keep goin your own way. Not many have the attitude to go their own way...all the way..

     
  • At 2:20 PM, Blogger Dipanjan Das said…

    thik achhe. ektu to improvement hoyechhe.

     
  • At 3:17 PM, Blogger Gee said…

    i thot someone hated cryptic people:-P

     
  • At 5:17 PM, Blogger Lancelot said…

    @ray ben: I try!!!

    @dd: at the end of it, that really is no consolation!!! i realize what u mean, but what happened with those papers was downright ridiculous!!!

    @herenow: sometimes its best to stay cryptic!!! clarifications can be given to people, but elucidating on a mass scale can be dangerous sometimes.

     
  • At 11:44 PM, Blogger Rimi said…

    since my lady herenow has already dealt with the being cryptic aspect, let me, like a complete non-techie foodie, concentrate on the KFC aspect. dear child, it's been around for FOREVER! *looks at lance commiseratingly* you poor children stuck at the back of beyond...this makes MY home look like it's the bloody nerve centre of the city...

     
  • At 12:42 PM, Blogger Casablanca said…

    "10 readings, and not 1"
    You do speak like a true-blue engineer!

    As for KFC, I reallllllly dont like their food. Grilled is always better than fried. Sorry for sounding like a firang :p

     
  • At 11:12 PM, Blogger jaded said…

    oh god, i hated KFC!The food was awful when i had it and after that i have tried not to think about it!But maybe we tried diff. things and so you found it awesome...

     
  • At 11:32 PM, Blogger Lancelot said…

    @rimi: i know i know... dont rub it in

    @casablanca: :P it was meant to sound that way, which i suppose u prob guessed neway!!! and as far as grilled n fried goes see next comment!!

    @jaded:well, yes, but i suppose i shud hav mentioned that i like chicken-period. so long as its well made, nothing else matters

     
  • At 11:57 AM, Blogger Gee said…

    so have u retired?

     
  • At 11:37 PM, Blogger rainbeau_peep said…

    Listen. Irrespective of whether u take 10 readings or 10 million - if u don't blow up the lab, ur no good at all.
    KFC - sala. I live HERE and I haven't been yet. Although I've had their takeaway. Like burger, mmm.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home