Lancelot's Take

Friday, May 05, 2006

Finlandia...

.
Awrite folks, this place is GODLY!!!
Beautiful, and absolutely great...
And the technology here makes India(which is the only yardstick I have for comparison) look like a village in the 1920s.

Right, then, I came here, was picked up by Kristiina and Timo, who are from the TML lab, and went straight to my apartment, which i share with 2 others, 1 german guy called Thormon, and a spanish guy called Xavier(Javi/Xavi). Now, for all those who remember, I had written about the baby syndrome I face earlier. It seems set to continue. Both these chaps are a good 5 years older than me, and have (sadly), having found my name too hard to pronounce, settled on Toy(Thormon) and Rish(Xavier). As a result, :((

Anyways, so my room is, I think, more than twice that of my hostel, has a huge window that looks out onto the street, and is quite lovely!!! The apartment has a common dining space and kitchen with all the equipment that none of you are interested in hearing about.

However, my first day coincided with Thormon's farewell party, and the party saw beer flow by the six-pack. And when they finished the 8 six-packs, they took a couple of large whisky bottles and finished them off too. However, I discovered this only next morning, coz I went to sleep at 12 so that I could be up in time next morning for work. Thormon, Xavi and the rest still haven't figured out how I slept in that racket, but I guess Kgp prepares you for some things in life!!!

So yennyways, i learned the following things about them regarding booze:
1. Somewhere in Latvia, you can get vodka with 80% alcohol content!!! Yes, its true, Xavi has three of those bottles.

2. Germans can open beer bottles with absolutely anything, from plastic bottles to the table to newspapers(believe it!!!) and for all the studs who try opening with their teeth, you might be warned that it's not a good idea, or so say these people, and I would believe them if I were you; they be Le Masters.

3. Drunken Spaniards will climb onto roofs at 12 at night to celebrate Barca's win and to replace the English flag that some of the English chaps had put on earlier!!!

Now then, beyond that everything's peaceful. Am frying sausages or having sandwiches for dinner. Lunch is an exotic combination of salads, and bread, and salmon or chicken stew or some others depending on what day it is(Lunch, of course, is at the univ-I can't cook).

This post is already too long. So we'll continue about the univ some other time, which is ze coolest!!! So long, gotta go fix dinner, and then another of Thormon's farewell parties(this one's by his friends, he last one was by him :D); he leaves tomorrow... so long...

******
Oh, this one's on the door of one of the profs involved in the project:
" Never underestimate the power of a sick mind. "
******

4 Comments:

  • At 12:30 PM, Blogger Casablanca said…

    Woah! I've been away far too long. Didnt know you were visiting santa this summer. Good good. Ensoi! How long are you there for?

     
  • At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    well how bout a post on the great new technologies u've seen, us cows need to hear of some new grass

     
  • At 10:16 PM, Blogger shaunak said…

    wish i too had some interesting room-mates .. sigh :(

     
  • At 2:03 AM, Blogger Lancelot said…

    @casa: yes you have but then so have i; though in defense, i do still read the blogs, though i dont always comment... and in the meantime, we have been away so long that my keyboards have changed to finnish... damn weird adjusting

    @ramesh: will do maybe, but who u be??

    @shaunak: think u have very interesting ones, or have u "seen" all u wanted to of them??

     

Post a Comment

<< Home