Lancelot's Take

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The bold print

There was a point of time when I used to have a fantastic memory. Over the years, it grew choosier. It now retains exactly what I don't want it to retain, and discards the rest. And it does seem incorrigible. Somehow, those steps on sand that I took have become etched in granite. Steps that draw my eyes towards them. Inexorably. I can't look away, try as I may.

There's something about occasions. Things seem to happen with me. Lightning strikes the same place twice if I am there, and chooses the most ironical moments (perhaps not always by chance) to disclose the twists. There have been points when all I wanted to do was cry. Tears failed me. I cried plenty as a kid, cried when I was not given chocolates, cried when India lost a match, cried when I couldn't solve a problem. Its been a long time since I cried now. And in between have been any number of moments when I have really, really wanted to.

Strong, strong lights guided my steps. Yet, as every step took me further forward, the lights dimmed, to be replaced by new ones that I had no option but to trust. They showed me new directions, newer territories. I could have been a poet. Only I would have added nothing to anything had I been one. Yet I should have been. For, it might have been the only way I could have hoped to express all of this. But then I would have been a Robert Browning seeking his Elizabeth or Yeats who watched as Maud went farther away than he could hope to go.

I am not strong. Not as strong as I would have liked to think. In certain respects. Not so in others. Whether those respects were more important, I shall never know. There have been things I have done- achieved. I can think of at least two moments for which I would trade them all. But then, nobody gave me the option. I would have traded in anything to have been "completely ordinary". Absolutely anything.

But then, as I have discovered, there's always a 'but'. I can't help but subconsciously find myself hoping for it. That might yet change the world.

********************

I have not forgotten it's V-day though! Just some stuff I had to get out. Not felt this way for 2 years and 2 months. For all you folks considerably better off- have a gr888 Valentine's day!

2 Comments:

  • At 8:42 PM, Blogger Rashmi Patel said…

    Tomorrows. They are the best bet. Believe me. It took me some time to find my tears too...

    Will be off on the Ballia trip from tomorrow onwards but hopeto see more posts when Iget back after a month.

    Cheers! Life's waiting...

     
  • At 10:31 AM, Blogger Just-a-guy said…

    Reading blogs after a loonggg time now. Guess which two blogs I went to first :) ... Words right out of my mouth; and im not talking about a certain section of the post... all of it. All of it....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home