Lancelot's Take

Sunday, July 22, 2007

A new beginning...

... after a turbulent end! For the people in Kgp, its the start of another semester, and to be here, so far away, after 8 suc semesters had dominated my life over the last 4 years feels strange. People are shifting rooms, creating wings, welcoming freshers, deciding whether to apply or not- people I know, people who are close to me.

I wrote this before I left for CMU. Its not close to satisfactory, which is why I didn't post it then. I am now because I don't think I could revise it. When you have been so close to something(s), its hard to capture them in words. So...

*********************************
start-title End of an Era end-title

So, back after a long time... and with much to say. I imagine it will be too long for just one post, so I will write as much as I feel like.

Its the end of this road. Almost, anyways. And the beginning of a new one.

However, this post is more about the last few months than the next few, which, as far as I am concerned, can take care of themselves. In keeping with the delusions of grandeur that we indulgently allow ourselves from time to time, the temptation of naming the post what I have was too much to overcome. It hardly is anything more than an end of a phase of my life.

Its almost overwhelming to think that one day I had around me all those people I have spent the major part of the last 4 years with, and the next day they would be in a different city in a different country, miles away. Same too for the people closer home, who have been an integral part of 22 years of existence. A few have already left, farewells have been bid. Its never easy to describe them. Nor am I someone who can describe my own emotions very easily. The journey through Kharagpur has been a roller coaster, and few turns have been as hair-raising as the last few months. The last semester memories, esp the months from April to June are a blur.

It seems just yesterday that I entered the awe-inspiring main building for the counseling session. As a gawky teenager entering IIT, I had a more perfect first year than I could have imagined. Academically, and personally. As was the beginning to my second year. The luck turned for the worse, end of my 3rd semester. The 4th semester seemed like looking up, but both sems 4 n 5 were, in the end, rather below expectations. Sem 6 was when it turned round again, and was followed by the best summer of my life! Helsinki, the early part of sem 7 transformed my life completely. A few crests, fewer troughs, but all enjoyed. Sem 8 and the two months to follow would put everything else in shade totally.

March 2007. The CMU admit had come through, I was on the verge of sending Stonybrook and Adobe the negative, and all attention in Kgp was focussed on the delicate state of the GCs. Soc-cult seemed well beyond Nehru, Sports seemed to be one we would make a mess of once again, and Tech was still too close to call.

The soc-cult challenge was duly mounted with the kind of passion that comes from knowing the chances are slimmer than ever, and it would take every possible stroke of luck to make it count. Tennis started for me, and started well. Unfortunately, it was to end with my first singles defeat in Kgp in inter halls in 2 years (I only played one singles last year :D) and that meant we were out, after having promised so much. Ad design went well, but RP stayed close. End March however, saw the Tech teams race away to the GC and, on the same day, we clinched a coveted Sports GC that Nehru had yearned for for over 2 decades. And, some powerful performances including a "national level" (so the judges said) choreo turned a fading Soc-Cult GC dream into the kind of intoxicating reality we hadn't dared dream of. Suddenly, we had become the first ever hall to complete a GC treble!

Then began the worst phase of my life! A victory procession gone awry meant a DC appearance! The day after the DC appearance was the crazy viva and it was duly followed by two months of, what I can only describe as, trauma. In between though, were far nicer moments- receiving 2 Order of Merit awards: 1 each in Literary and Technology, Best Outgoing Soc-Cult, though I am a little awed when I think of its past recipients, and received a mail confirming financial assistance for my first year at CMU. End-semester exams and the final project presentations were dealt with duly, and the DC returned the expected "not guilty" (:P) verdict. The rest of May passed in a blur. Writing DVDs, trying to meet everyone before they(or I ) left, evenings playing football, treating people, taking treats, it was essentially 4 years of Kgp life in fast forward! And a great time its been to. Cant think of a single regret except a couple of events that happened in February this year, a few more that happened in April; though probably the only ones I'll remember a few years down are the ones that happened in Nov-Dec 2004 (Sem 3) and shouldnt have.

So then. Less than 7 days before I leave for CMU. Would have been happier if the time had passed slower, so that I had managed to absorb the moments better. Was discussing with a friend today about what the strongest memories of Kgp would be, if I ever came back. Too many, really. Of the tennis courts, and the practice sessions with Vishal, the WTGW, DumbC, JAM practices, hong kong bar trips arranged at a moments notice, of walking down schols ave at midnight after doing algo assignments and sms-ing to faraway places, of ice-cream at Veggies after dinner, of Alankar meetings, of CEL, of being scared of deadlines, of the TnP corridors, Illumination, Rangoli, the illumination, treats, inter-halls, an amazing list that will never end. Days whose memories will, in the days to come, fill me with warmth. Those were some of the best days of my life.

It really is a horrible post. Mostly disconnected, essentially unintelligible to people outside fairly close friends. But, such, I guess, is life. Its a lot tougher to talk about things closer to the heart than others. I intended to add stuff about Cal also, but lets not make this worse!

Here's to the batch of 007 ;-) People I shall always remember, moments I shall always cherish, memories that shall never be erased. Thanks a lot guys, for an amazing time.

**********************************************

Well, the USofA is nice. I cant give it a stronger adjective. Frankly, after Helsinki, I am much disappointed. But it has it bright spots, and if the mood seizes me soon, I shall post about it!

1 Comments:

  • At 8:14 PM, Blogger Rashmi Patel said…

    Hey, so there. Visit the rashmi-indya blog. the other ones are hardly updated. The village thing was ...unfruitful ... :( yeah. Much water's passed over since then. Keep posting.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home